Tofu Salad… trying something new
Tonight I’m going to share with you and alternative meal for a lunch. It is a vegan meal. I like to mix it up sometimes and so does my other half Sarah. She suggested trying Tofu as we where doing our weekly shop. I wasn’t too keen on the idea. However, I did used to eat Tofu as a child when living on the continent. I remember it being quite bland and tasteless. It is. However, it is meat free and still is a full protein source. Although, it isn’t considered as high as animal sources. We mixed it with some chicken seasoning to give it some taste which went down well. I try and add at least 1 meat free meal into my diet every week sometimes 2.
What to buy
- Tofu (the already pressed version)
- 4 Sweet potatoes
- Spinach or letice leaves
- 1 Pepper
- Chicken seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- olive oil if wanted
How to make it
- Clean and prep the sweet potatoes so that you can bake them in the oven for 35-40 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.
- We bought the non pressed version of the tofu, so buy the press version. But if you need to buy the non pressed tofu. Get a chopping board to put the tofu on, warp a paper towel around it and add some weight to push all the water out for 10 minutes before frying. This will make sure it has a dense texture.
- Cut up the vegetables and add the lettuce leaves to a plate with a scoop of hummus.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into edible sizes and add to the plate
- Cut the tofu up and season with what you fancy then add them to a pan of oil for 6 minutes until they go a golden colour.
- Enjoy your lunch
If you are a vegan or a vegetarian that doesn’t eat eggs then you will need to find your protein sources from other areas. Lots of food has protein in, in fact every growing thing has protein. It is the building blocks to life. However, you as a human need all the essential amino acids to work. So for vegans this means mixing grains and pulses to make a full protein. As well as adding lots of nuts and seeds into your diet. This is the advice I give all my vegan personal training clients in Windsor and Ascot. To make sure that they are repairing their bodies, ready for the next session.