Post workout Fish Pie mix with veg
The other day I was really needing some carbs and healthy protein. I’d just done a very hard workout and my body needed it. I was wondering what I could make that would satisfy my need for carbs. That’s when I remembered I picked up a fish pie mix of three different types of fish perfect for a pie. However, I didn’t want to have mashed potatoes on the top. Instead I had a baked sweet potato on the side with some other veg. I didn’t want to add more butter of milk to the dish. It already had milk and butter in the sauce which is good for a post workout meal.
This sort of meal is great when you’ve just done a big run or a tough workout session. However, not so good if you’re trying to lose fat at the same time. It will give you lots of carbs as well as lots of nutrients, I didn’t add so much veg to the dish. Whereas, other times I have put carrots and broccoli to this to make it more vitamin rich.
What to buy for the fish pie?
- 3 types of fish use 150-200g of each which will serve 2 big servings for the fish pie
- 25g of butter
- 25g of plain flour
- 200-250ml of milk
- 5 string onions (you can add other veg)
- salt and pepper
- Sweet potatoes
How to put it together?
- Clean the potatoes and cut off all the bad parts. Pierce some holes in them and put them in the oven for 40 mins on 180c.
- First of all you have to cut up everything that is going into the pie.
- Melt the butter in a pan on a low heat start to add the flour slowly. Mixing in as you go. Once the flour is mixed start to add a little milk at a time and keep mixing. This will start to thicken but don’t leave it on the heat.
- Add the spring onions and the fish to the mix.
- Get an oven tray that is 4x8inches to put the mix in and place it in the oven for 20-25 mins.
- Once the pie mix and the potatoes are nearly done start to fry the asparagus.
- Dish up your meal in a bowl and enjoy you fish pie.
Persona trainers tip
As a Windsor based mobile personal trainer this sort of meal is suitable for me for when I train hard and for when my clients train hard. This is what I call my cheat day, it isn’t eating out at a fast food restaurant once a week. It is having a lovely but very calorific meal at home that is also healthy for the body. I still think of the vitamins and minerals I’m going to get from the meal and I also think about the carbs and protein. Usually people think a cheat meal is something that you can just go all out on and eat things you know your body doesn’t need because it is bad for you. Try and have a heathy cheat meal that is inline with your goals. And which doesn’t put you back 10 steps in terms of your food.