Burrito Bowl ….. great for a post gym meal
As the weeks get busier for us it can get harder to cook a meal in the evening. So Sarah-Lynn had a great idea of patch cooking some chicken breast in the slow cooker to make pulled chicken. As well as a lasagne to eat throughout the week. The chicken is great because you can make so many meals out of it. Todays meal is a Burrito bowl.
The chicken was already cooked so all I had to do was warm it up and boil some brown rice and add some blackens to it. You can add anything you want to this meal to make it tasty including lots of vegetables.
Why was it a big meal?
Well the picture of this meals is large and it was that way for a reason. With food you should eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. Now I’m a tall and quite a muscular man, so after my workout at the weekend I was feeling the effects. I added a lot to my plate mandate it all. This isn’t a bad thing because everything on my plate was healthy in the amounts that I had for my body. I know that i can eat a meal like this and not feel bad about eating a lot. I know that it will do me good after my workout and it is exactly what was needed.
What to buy?
- 1 chicken breast each
- Brown rice
- Organic black beans
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 or red pepper
- Grated cheese
- Burrito seasoning
How to make the dish?
- First of all you will have had to slow cook your chicken for the burrito bowl for 3 hours. Have it stored in the fridge until you want to eat it.
- Boil the brown rice for 25 minutes. After its done, drain the water. Then rinse the black beans and add the to the rice to warm up slightly. Add a tsp or 2 or Burrito seasoning in with the rice to add some flavour.
- On the day heat the chicken up in the microwave or in a separate pan until piping hot.
- Then add the rice and black beans to the plate with the chicken and cheese on top.
- Slice up the tomatoes, avocado, and red pepper to go on the side with some hummus for taste.
- Enjoy your easy cooked meal. Completed within 30 minutes if you take away the slow cooking of the chicken.
Many people ask me as their personal trainer in Windsor, what do I eat whilst training? I respond with a number of different answers because everyone is different depending on their goals. If you are looking to gain weight, eat more of the healthy foods. If you’re looking to loose weight, eat heathy foods and have a small gradual calorie deficit. But both have to sort out how to eat before adding or taking away calories. And if your training for an event then you have to add more of certain foods into your diet for recovery and energy.