Monday Meal 10: Shakshouka with brown rice
Shakshouka is a very easy meal to make. It is essentially stewed vegetables with chorizo and eggs on top. You can be creative with the vegetable as you wish. However, just make sure they go well together. For example, I wouldn’t put kale in this dish. Whereas, you can put tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, spinach and a wide variety of other veg.
I find, when I’ve been out all day personal training in Windsor I don’t want to slave around the stove in the evenings. This is therefore very easy to make. Just place the veg and chorizo in a pan with some passatta or tomatoes cook it for a while. And whilst the rice boils. All you have to do from here is place it in the oven to cook some more before you put the eggs in before the end.
Shopping list for this Shakshouka
- 1 red onion
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper
- 4 medium mushrooms
- 1 courgette
- 2 x 400g of Passata or chopped tomatoes
- 2 flat tbsp of Paprika
- 1/2 chorizo sausage
- 4 free range eggs
- 185g or brown rice per person
How to put the meal together
- Firstly put the dice the onions and garlic and place them in the pan with oil until golden.
- Cut the red pepper and the mushrooms up and then add them to the mix.
- Then dice the courgette to add to the pan.
- After 4 minutes pour the passata or chopped tomatoes on top and cook for 5 extra minute.
- Add the paprika and the chorizo sausage to the stew and leave to cook on a low heat.
- Transfer the content from the pan to a dish that is suitable for the oven.
- Leave the mixture to stew even further in the oven for around 20 minutes whist the brown rice boils.
- After 20 minutes make 4 small dips in the top of the dish where you can crack an egg.
- Cook until the eggs are ready then dish your meal up and enjoy.
Personal trainers take on this meal
You have to look at food as fuel for your body. Not just for energy but in other ways to be able to repair tissue, strengthen immune system and provide hormones. Without food this wouldn’t happen. So, for this to happen in the best way you should put the best nutrition in your body. This meal provides you with all the macro nutrients and many micro nutrients. In other words, it does wonders for your health.
You can even change it so it’s even healthier. You could change the chorizo if you don’t like meat for some sort of bean. If you try this easy recipe or share it with your friends for a night in. Just ask how many eggs they want. In addition, you could make it for yourself and ave some left over for the next day or some of the stew to freeze. Just don’t freeze the eggs. Enjoy your Shaksouka.