Monday Meal 9: Chicken and broccoli salad
I usually like to make something colourful for lunch and I have the opportunity some days to cook lunch at home. Instead of taking it on the road with me to coach/personal train clients in Ascot. This chicken and broccoli salad can be made at home and taken to work also. It is great eaten cold or warm.
However, if you want the broccoli warm you will have to microwave it at work in a bowl with some water. The one thing you will notice is that this is very low in carbs. This is for the people who want a snack type lunch and they might get their carbs from other sources. Like a big breakfast or carb rich snacks throughout the day.
What to purchase for this meal
This chicken and broccoli salad is very easy to make. With the following foods it can be put together in less that 15 minutes.
- 1 Chicken breast
- 4 broccoli florets
- Seasoning for the chicken (of your choice)
- 1 spring onion
- 4 small baby tomatoes
- 2 radishes
- 1/4 of yellow pepper
- 1 handful of rocket
- 1 tsp of mustard
- 1tsp or honey
- 1 tsp of olive oil
How to put this meal together
- Cut the broccoli florets up and put them in a steamer. Steam for 8 minutes
- Cut the chicken into strips, season to your taste and fry in a pan on a medium heat until done
- Cut the tomatoes, pepper, spring onion and radishes into small pieces and place them in a bowl
- Get a small plastic pot add a tsp or honey, mustard and olive oil and shake well.
- Pour the mix over the cut up vegetables.
- Get your plate or lunch box, place a handful of rocket with the salad mix on top. Add the chicken strips after cooling.(if you’re eating it for lunch the next day otherwise just place on top)
- Have the broccoli on the side
Personal trainers take on his lunch
I sometimes take this lunch out with me when I’m out all day. Personal trainers can have very little time for lunch especially if you’re out delivering sessions in Ascot around lunch time. This is a time when people want to workout, so we either have to eat it before or after out lunch time session.
You might feel the same if you’re out in a meeting over lunch but don’t have time to eat a healthy meal. This chicken and broccoli salad covers a lot of nutrition. Like I’ve said above, it is also very easy to make. Enjoy.